Social media platforms such as Instagram seem to be a new normal, and even a requirement of sorts. Surely you’d be missing out on news that pertains to your favorite people, brands, or events if you don’t have one, right? Well, that’s fine and dandy as long as you have access to it, but what if you lose it? It matters not whether it’s a forgotten password, e-mail, phishing you’ve fallen for, a keylogger you downloaded – your account is inaccessible. But don’t give up on it yet – first let us teach you how you can recover your Instagram account – or at least try.
Gather your Instagram account information
Take out your physical notebook, open your Google Docs, Notepad, or wherever you keep your log-in information. The more you have to work with, the easier the process will be. Let’s first assume that you don’t remember the e-mail. That’s fine – you can log-in with your phone number or username. Any of the three – e-mail, username, and phone number allows you to recover access to your Instagram account and thus change the other two.
Tip: If you’ve signed up for Instagram with your Facebook account, the e-mail will be the same.
I forgot my Instagram account password
Don’t remember your password? Here’s how to reset it.
- Click on Forgot Password? below the username/password fields.
- Enter your username, phone number, or e-mail. We suggest entering a phone number since they are rarely changed and present an easy way to recovery.
- Click on Send Login Link.
- You’ll receive a password reset mail to the e-mail you registered with. If you entered a phone number, an SMS will arrive.If you don’t see anything new in your Inbox, check your Spam folder. In case that doesn’t work either, click Send Login Link again.
- Follow the on-screen instructions or the steps laid out in the e-mail and you’ll regain access to your Instagram account.
Tip: We suggest changing information periodically, regardless if you have been hacked or think you will be. You can also register a separate e-mail to use for Instagram only. Keep in mind, once you change your e-mail, both the old and the new e-mails will receive confirmation/denial requests. If you still have access to the old one, we suggest confirming the change there too.
I accidentally disabled my Instagram account
Don’t give in to panic. There is still hope – in most cases disabling an Instagram account works similarly as with Facebook. That means the activity is temporary and only lasts until you log-in again. Just enter your log-in information, and you should be back where you left off.
Instagram deleted my account
If this is a surprise and in your opinion, unjustified, you can try and appeal the decision. This is done through the Android or the iOS app. Simply enter your log-in details and follow the on-screen instructions. The mistakes rarely happen, so if you’ve been posting risque stuff, it’s best to cut your losses and start anew.
How to recover a hacked Instagram account
If an account you used yesterday no longer seems to exist through no action of your own, it’s time to start thinking hard and deep. Someone – a hacker, a colleague, a friend, or even a member of the family, deleted it without notifying you! In the best-case scenario, they’ve logged in and changed your username. This confuses you into thinking the account was deleted while in reality, you can still access it by entering your e-mail or phone number.
We’ve mentioned confirmation requests above. Open your e-mail and try to cancel any changes if possible. If the perpetrator also had access to e-mail, that only leaves contacting using your phone number through the app.
- On Android – Go back to the login screen. Tap Get help signing in. Enter your phone number and wait for the SMS with further steps.
- On iOS – Navigate to the login screen. Tap Forgot password? Enter your phone number and follow the on-screen instructions.
Hackers have full access to my Instagram account
If that’s the case, it’s time to go a step further. Being an influencer or having a brand presence, and then having it all taken away can seriously hurt your livelihood. For that reason, Instagram has a report account feature in place.
- Go through the same steps outlined above. Once you fail to enter a valid username, phone number, or password, a new option will appear on both Android and iOS devices.
- When it pops up, tap on Need more help?
- Enter your previous e-mail and type of Instagram account (Personal, Business)
- Enter a new, secure e-mail address that you’ll be able to check regularly.
- An auto-response e-mail will appear in the inbox of your secure e-mail address. You will be asked to do one or both of the following to prove your identity:
- Send a picture of yourself holding a custom code they provided handwritten on a piece of paper.
- Provide details on your Instagram account. List an email address, phone number, and username you signed up with. You will also be asked about the device you signed up with – computer, tablet, Android smartphone, iPhone, iPad, etc.
- Keep checking for the response of the Instagram Help Center, and follow steps lined in their e-mail to recover your Instagram account.
My Instagram account has been deleted
If the person had malicious intent and used your information to delete your Instagram account, the chances are slim to none. Instagram rarely, if ever, meddles with the issues of account deletion, although contacting them as soon as possible might help. This is reserved for accounts with thousands of followers, although nothing is guaranteed.
What can I do if my Instagram account was deleted?
We suggest starting fresh. Although you can re-use the e-mail, we suggest you assume it has been compromised. Doing an Instagram account recovery means creating a new account with a new e-mail and password, in this case. You can reuse the username if it’s close to your heart or clever wordplay. Change the password every once in a while, and don’t share it with anyone. Furthermore, make sure to revoke access to 3rd party apps you don’t recognize or trust.