Steps to recover a banned Instagram account
In case it wasn’t you doing the offense, it shouldn’t be too hard to prove your innocence. You can follow the steps to recover a disabled/reported Instagram account. These work on both Android and iOS.
Make an appeal with Instagram
We suggest you use a tool designed by Instagram for this purpose. Keep in mind, the outcome will heavily depend on the offense in question, and whether it’s your first time doing it.
- Visit the My Instagram Account Was Deactivated page.
- Under Full name, enter your first and last name.Obviously, if you entered a different one when registering the Instagram account, use that one. Unfortunately, you might sabotage yourself by doing this, which you’ll soon realize.
- Under Your Instagram username, enter the last-known username. If you can’t remember it, or the hacker changed it, enter an older one that you’re sure about.
- Under Your email, enter the e-mail address tied to the account, even if it was hacked. It will be used for confirmation purposes, and you can mention that it was compromised in a moment.
- Under Your mobile number, enter the phone number tied to the account.You should be able to use all variations. For example, for the United States, you can use +1, 001, or just 1.
- Finally, describe your situation in the large textbox. Make sure to include all relevant details.If your e-mail address was compromised, also mention the new e-mail address that you check regularly.
Getting contacted by Instagram’s Help team
When they e-mail you a response, prepare to verify your identity. They might ask you for one or all of the following:
- Confirm your identity with a picture of your face in focus, holding a piece of paper with a code they provided handwritten on it.
- Confirm your identity with a picture of your real-life ID next to your face, both in focus.
- Give them additional details about the account. This includes old e-mail addresses, password, usernames, devices, locations, and dates you used to log in.
- All you can do now is wait for them to cross the information you provided with the data available to them, and hope for the best.
Now you know the way to recover a banned Instagram account. If you get it back, make sure to respect the Terms of Service and use a stronger password. As mentioned, should your account get banned again, the chances of a repeated recovery are zero.