So, you want to restore your FB account but only know the username? Might we presume you’re talking about recovering an old Facebook account? If so, you’re already ahead, most people don’t remember a thing, and you already know a key detail. That will definitely make things easier and speed up the process. In fact, in this case, you can count on Facebook’s help. After all, it’s in their interest to have as many active accounts as possible. Let’s delve into it.
First, for those that aren’t completely sure.
Q: What is the Facebook username?
A: It is the combination of words, numbers, and/or symbols in the address bar. For example, facebook.com/mark
To recover FB account with username only
We already wrote a comprehensive guide on how to recover a Facebook account. But wait, you’re not suffering from a disabled Facebook account. Why would you waste time reading through it all, then? Let’s get into the parts you’ll actually need.
Try to reset the password on Facebook
This is the best-case scenario, we presume your account wasn’t hacked. We also presume you only forgot which phone number or e-mail address was registered with it, but still have access to them once your memory is refreshed.
- Visit facebook.com.
- Click on Forgot password?
- Although the text field says Enter phone number or the e-mail address, you can also enter your Facebook username.This is not guaranteed to work. At this stage, Facebook will analyze your IP address. To increase your chances, try this process using a device and network you used in the past to log in to Facebook.
- If successful, you will see your name and profile picture.
- Depending on your memory and recognition, choose either Send code via email or Send code via SMS.
- Click on Continue.
- Enter the temporary verification code you received to your e-mail address or SMS.
- You will be able to reset the password now.
Help! How to recover Facebook account with a username if I don’t know e-mail or phone number?
This is the trickiest part and one that has a much lower chance of success. It is heavily dependent on your pre-planning ability, and activating Trusted Contacts before you lost access. Do this:
- Follow steps #1 through #4 above.
- This time, click on No longer have access to these?
- At the next window, click on I Cannot Access my Email.
- You might also be asked to enter the phone number next. This will obviously fail too.
- The Trusted Contacts feature will appear. You will be shown 4 profiles of your Facebook friends. You need to enter their full name of one of them, as they are registered on Facebook. The four profiles will be revealed in full afterward. You need to send at least 3 out of 4 of friends a link you are provided with. They will receive a code and give it to you to enter as instructed.
- If all goes well, you will be allowed to reset your password and choose a new e-mail if the old one is inaccessible.
Last resort – confirm your identity with Facebook
- Contact the Facebook Help team via Confirm Your Identity page.
- As you can see in the image, you need to upload up to 3 JPEG images of your ID card in real life.
- Since you cannot recall your e-mail address or phone number, enter a new one. Make sure you can check the new address or phone number regularly.
- Next, compose a new e-mail from that address to Facebook support. Explain your situation, and mention you uploaded pictures via their system. Don’t attach the pictures again.
- Send the e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All that’s left is to wait. Based on your situation and how busy they are, this can take a few days or a few weeks. Even worse, there’s a chance you will never get a reply.