Wondering how to recover files you erased then emptied from Recycle Bin? Whether the act was accidental or intentional, thinking you won’t need those files anymore, the damage is done. And, although it seems you signed a death sentence for the data when you pressed Empty Recycle Bin, that’s not the case. We discussed plenty of solutions when we talked about restoring a deleted folder in Windows 10. Let’s explore other options, here are the steps to recover files from Recycle Bin after empty.
1. Always check your Recycle Bin
Always try the “dumbest” step first, as it could very well save you hours of effort. Thinking that you emptied, and verifying that you did are two different things. If it turns out that files are still there, do this:
- Right-click on a file or a group of files.
- Click on Restore.
- The files are now restored to their original location.
- Click and hold on a file or a group of files.
- Drag them to the desktop or a folder of your choice.
2. Stop any action on your computer immediately
Any step you take, whether it is copying files, browsing the Internet, installing new programs, or editing photos or videos, has a chance to make your files disappear forever.
Wonder why? When you empty the Recycle Bin, the files still exist in the internal storage. The computer only erases the file path that leads to those files and considers the space empty. As you continue to work on the computer, that space is slowly overwritten with new data.
3. Restoring files from an emptied Recycle Bin using Piriform Recuva
Piriform Recuva is among the best data recovery software for Windows. It is free, lightweight, easy-to-use, and efficient. It is the best choice for recently emptied Recycle Bin. Here’s how to use it.
- Download Piriform Recuva for Windows.
- Install and launch the software.
- During the first boot, you will be asked about the file type you are trying to recover.
- Click on the circle in front of All files and click Next.
- In the next window, click on the circle in front of In the Recycle Bin.
- Click on Next.
- Optional. Check the box in front of Enable Deep Scan.
The scan will last longer but will be thorough.
- Click Next.
- A new window will pop up with results. You can successfully recover files that have a green circle in front of them. The files marked with a red circle are corrupted or fractured and have a lesser chance of restoration.
- Check the boxes in front of the files you want to restore.
- Click on Recover… in the bottom right corner.
- Choose a location to save the newly recovered files.
4. Steps to recover files from Recycle Bin via EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard has certainly earned a spot among the top 10 recovery software for PC. It is a paid software, has a sleek UI, and a much better recovery rate than Recuva. Plus, the company offers its users to restore up to 2 GB of any type of files for free. This is how it works.
- Download EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Windows.
- Install and run the software.
- Hover over the Recycle Bin option.
- Click on Scan.
- Let the scanning process finish.
- Files are sorted into categories/folders in the menu on the left.
- You can right-click on any file and choose Preview or Recover.
- If you don’t like the interface, mark the discovered files using the checkbox at the top.
- Click on Recover in the bottom right corner.
- Browse through the files, keep some, and erase the rest again.
5. Hire a data recovery company
If neither of the software above worked, you have two choices.