As of January 2022, according to TechCrunch, HBO Max has crossed the 73 million subscribers mark. It is one of the most popular streaming platforms, and its user base is only increasing with each new release. Unfortunately, as the platform grows in popularity, more and more users are experiencing problems accessing their accounts. If you’re one of those users, don’t worry, there are ways to recover your account for HBO Max.
We’ll assume you’re the one who lost access to their HBO Max account. If so, you should first try to remember your login credentials. If that fails to work, and you determine you have forgotten your password, you can reset it by following the instructions below. However, if you still can’t get to the dashboard of your account even after resetting your password, or you’re sure the credentials are correct, there may be another issue. Either your subscription expired or you’ve been unfortunate enough to be caught breaking the Terms of Service. In both cases, you can contact HBO Max customer service for help,
Recover a Hacked HBO Max Account
HBO Max is famous among viewers for streaming HBO’s top films, specials, and documentaries on various devices. Additionally, the paid subscription service adds to HBO’s original programming lineup with thousands of additional hours of exclusive movies and programs. Unfortunately, HBO Max and several other streaming services aren’t entirely hack-proof. Hundreds of thousands of subscriber accounts have been compromised in various incidents. The first thing you should do is figure out if your HBO Max account has been hacked and if so, take steps to protect yourself. HBO limits the number of streams to prevent your login and sale on the internet.
Follow these steps if you believe your HBO Max account was compromised:
- Double-check the hacker is no longer infiltrated by selecting “sign all devices out” once you log in yourself. This will kick everyone out.
- Change your password and inform any authorized users of the change. This prevents the culprit from gaining access by using the same password.
Determining if Your HBO Max Account Was Hacked
The gist of this technique is to log in to verify the list of devices that have signed in to your account. Here’s how:
- Visit the official HBO Max website.
- Proceed to click the profile icon in the top-right corner.
- Choose “Manage Devices” from the list to see the history of the devices accessing your account.
- If you spot an unknown device, pick the “sign out” option to prevent its access to your HBO Max account. Ensure you change your password immediately.
Change Your HBO Max Password via App
Changing the password for the HBO Max account through the app works as described below:
- Go to the “Profile” section in the HBO Max app.
- Tap on “Settings.”
- In the menu, tap on the “Account” option.
- Tap on “Edit.” You will receive a prompt asking you to enter your current password.
- Input your password and press “OK.”
- Update your account password.
- Provide your new password.
- Finally, select “Save.”
Using Browser to Perform HBO Max Password Change
Refer to the set of steps below if you are accessing your account via a browser.
- Head over to the official HBO Max website.
- Use your current username and password.
- Choose the “Profile” icon.
- In the “Account” section, got to “Edit.”
- You’ll be asked to type your current password.
- Press “OK” once you provide your current password.
- Now, type your new password and select “Save.”
Recover Account for HBO Max Whose Credentials Have Been Changed or Forgotten
If you can’t log in using your username and password despite multiple tries, someone else has likely changed them without your knowledge. Alternatively, you might have forgotten these details. Follow these instructions to restore the HBO Max account without username or password:
- If you have access to the account’s email address, you can change your password by going to the “Forgot password?” option on the login page.
- Input your email address for the subscription. HBO Max will send you a link to choose a new password.
- Open the email with the subject “Reset Your HBO Max Password” and select “Delete Account”. Create a new, stronger password and save it. If you do not see the reset password email in its Inbox, search for it in Spam or Junk folders.
- Verify that you entered the correct email address. Open HBO Max on a device you’re already logged in with (if you can) and look under “Profile” > “Settings” > “Account” for it.
- If you’re still having trouble resetting your password after trying other devices, contact HBO Max customer service through phone, email, or messages.