Did you uninstalled KakaoTalk or started using KakaoTalk on a new device? You must want your chat history back, then. In the age of free cloud backups, most of which are built into the app, that is certainly possible. However, in this case, unlike recovering Viber messages or getting WhatsApp chat history back, it is not automatic. KakaoTalk uses encryption for your chat history, and you must set up a password that’s later used for decryption. That means that if you didn’t do it beforehand, you can only use method 2. Additionally, if you forget the password, there’s no way to retrieve chat history. With that said, here’s how to recover KakaoTalk messages.
Part 1. Guide to recover KakaoTalk messages with backup
Delete the application from iOS or Android unless it’s a new phone or you performed a factory reset on Android or wiped iPhone. This method also works cross-platform – you can restore chats made on Android to an iOS smartphone and vice versa. Furthermore, you can authenticate a new phone number, but you must use the same KakaoTalk account since the backup is tied to it. Now, let’s get into instructions to restore a KakaoTalk chat history from a backup:
- Turn on your Wi-Fi or enable mobile data.
- Install the application for Android or iOS and launch it.
- You’ll see a prompt to confirm your phone number. Accept a phone call or enter a code you received as an SMS.
- Log in to the KakaoTalk account that had the messages you want to get back.
- If you’re struggling, we made a guide to recover a KakaoTalk account.
- A new pop-up window detailing your operating system information and the backup date will pop up.
- Tap on Restore.
- Enter the password you set during the backup process.
- Decryption starts and your messages will begin downloading. This can take a while if the chat history is extensive.
- You’ll get a success message when the KakaoTalk restoration process is complete.
- Tap on Get Started and enjoy conversations you thought were lost.
What to do if the KakaoTalk chat backup isn’t recognized
So, you made a backup of your chat history on KakaoTalk, but you didn’t get a pop-up window after installation? One of these things could be the reason KakaoTalk didn’t recognize a backup:
- You forgot to set up an encryption password, and backing up never started.
- It has been more than 14 days since your last backup. KakaoTalk deletes the backed up chat history after that point.
- You signed in to the wrong KakaoTalk account.
- You deactivated or deleted that KakaoTalk account.
Help! Part of KakaoTalk chat history is missing
Unfortunately, there’s a chance you’ll never see them again. Still, it’s good to understand why some KakaoTalk messages are is missing:
- You interrupted the recovery process by opening another app.
- The messages you seek were over 1000 characters. KakaoTalk excludes those during the backup process.
- The messages you want were open chats or secret chats. Neither is backed up in the first place.
- Images and videos that were part of chat history are not backed up. If sent simultaneously, an accompanying text could be missing.
- More than 3 days since you completed the backup process have passed. KakaoTalk stores messages at the time of backup plus those made over the 3 next days. Any messages exchanged within up to 11 days in-between weren’t stored.
Part 2. Steps to restore KakaoTalk messages without backup
If you weren’t prepared by making a backup, the chance for recovery is much lower, and KakaoTalk can’t help. We didn’t say impossible, however, especially if very little time has passed. We explained how this was possible in method #2 of our guide to recover Keepsafe photos. To clarify, you’ll need to use third-party data recovery software for Android or iOS. If you need help, we went a step further in that guide and demonstrated the steps with one such software named Aiseesoft FoneLab. If you decide to follow them, make sure to select App Documents as step #7 instead of Photos. The rest of the steps are identical.
Part 3. Recovering KakaoTalk Messages from iCloud Backup (iOS)
To recover your KakaoTalk messages from an iCloud backup, follow these steps:
- Ensure you have a recent iCloud backup that includes the desired messages.
- Reset your iOS device: Go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.
- During setup, choose “Restore from iCloud Backup” and sign in with your Apple ID.
- Select the most recent backup containing your KakaoTalk messages.
- Wait for the restoration process to complete with a stable Wi-Fi connection.
- Open KakaoTalk after the restoration, and your messages should reappear.
Follow these steps, and your KakaoTalk messages will be recovered from your iCloud backup effortlessly. Also, remember to regularly back up your device to maintain up-to-date messages in iCloud.