Mega has several features that stand out from other cloud storage providers. It offers an impressive 50 GB of free storage space to all users, for starters. Additionally, the service offers good security features, such as end-to-end encryption. It is a great option if you’re looking for a reliable, gratis, and easy-to-use cloud storage service. This is the reason it has around 230 million users worldwide. Therefore, losing access to the Mega account can sure be a serious inconvenience, let alone when you try to recover it.
After all, this service receives millions of files every day. If you’re one of the people who’ve submitted this data, you know you’ll need a username and password to access your account information, and share, delete, or download them. Don’t worry if you’ve forgotten your password or don’t know the recovery key. Account rescue services are available to Mega users, too. However, if you’ve misplaced your account’s encryption key, keep in mind that you’ll need to find it or utilize a live session to restore the data on the account.
What is recoverykey.txt file for Mega?
Mega-recoverykey.txt is the file that Mega recommends you download when creating an account. This is a text file containing a 22-character recovery key, which allows you to access your account if you forget your login password. This file may only be downloaded from the management panel of your Mega account while logged in. After making an account, it’s a good idea to save this file to a secure location, but it remains available from the control panel if you’re logged in on another device.
Beware that you won’t be able to get this file from other websites on the web. Because each account’s recovery key file is unique, files obtained from other sources will not work. Additionally, you should never enter it anywhere else. To save a file, you must have access to your Mega account or be linked to one of your devices or software: computer, mobile phone, tablet, MegaSync, or browser add-on.
Recover Mega account with or without email account access
As we mentioned, if you lose your Mega account’s password, you can use the recovery key to retrieve it.
- Head over to the Mega Recover page, and choose “Forgot your password?”
- Provide your e-mail address from your Mega account. (If you remember your email ID, you’ll receive a verification link to reset your account password). Leave the email field blank in case you don’t remember it.
- Press the Start button.
- You’ll be asked to enter your 22-character backup mega-recoverykey.txt.
- If you don’t have the key, proceed to No, I don’t have my recovery key.
- Check for the devices logged in to your Mega account whether from web browser, or desktop or mobile app.
- If you’re logged into your account, you may reset it by providing the associated email ID.
- Enter your recovery key and set a new password.
Using an alternative email to recover an account for Mega
In case you don’t have the original email associated with your Mega account, you can use another email to recover your account.
- Repeat the step 1 above, then follow the same steps to get to the page where you can enter the mega-recoverykey.txt file.
- Select Yes, I have the recovery key and pick Submit.
- Now, type an email address you’re using currently.
- Hit the send button.
- Check your email for a verification link sent to your inbox. If you are unable to view the email, then look into the Spam/Junk folders.
- Download mega-recoverykey.txt file and provide the key to reset your password like above.
No recovery key? You can still employ an open account session
To restore a Mega account without the recovery key, you must start an open session on a device. Steps for doing so depend on the device where you began the session.
- For a session in browser: Go to Menu → Your account → Security → Type a new password, verify it, and press Save.
- For Android session: Press the Menu icon → Choose the profile image to access Your account → Change password → type your new password, validate and save it.
- iOS session: Launch the application and go to Menu button → Settings → Security options → Change password → Provide new password, confirm it, and select Save.
- For MegaSync Session: Go to Mega icon on your taskbar, next to the time/date → Settings/Preferences → Your account → Change password → Enter the new password, verify it, and choose Save.
- Windows Phone Session: Head to Menu → Account → Change password → Type your new password, authenticate, and press Done.
Important: You may access your Mega account from any device after updating the password, and the new information will be accepted. However, if you are not currently signed in and cannot locate the recovery key, we’re sorry to inform you that your account can no longer be recovered.
Recovery was unsuccessful. What do I do?
You can “park” your account for 60 days and create a new (empty) account under the same e-mail address. Follow all the recovery instructions on the aforementioned Recover page until you’re sure you don’t have open sessions on other devices by tapping No, I don’t have open sessions in MEGA. Contact Mega Support at [email protected] if you find your recovery key back within 60 days.
Precautions to avoid future mishaps
You may retrieve your account recovery key by going to the menu, then selecting the Export recovery key option from the drop-down menu. You can write down the recovery key or press the “Download Key” button to obtain a mega-recoverykey.txt file that will allow you to restore your account in the future. Changing your password regularly is another way to avoid losing your account. To access your Mega.nz account, go to Menu → Security → Change password. You may also modify or update your email address there.