MEGA is a well-known and respected file hosting and cloud storage service. It guarantees data security through encryption. Also, like other providers, you, as a user, have quick access to your data wherever you are, using a browser or Android and iOS apps. Some individuals, however, delete their files from this cloud storage, purposefully or accidentally. Luckily, they can still recover deleted files from their MEGA account on Mega.nz or Mega.io, even if it seems permanently removed.
When users delete files from their accounts, those files are not immediately or forever gone from the cloud. Rather, they are moved to the Rubbish bin, where they remain for 30 days. Therefore, users can recover the files they erased mistakenly or deliberately by browsing the bin during that time. Moreover, even if you have permanently erased files from MEGA and emptied the aforementioned trash bin, there is still a way to retrieve data.
Things to Remember About MEGA Accounts
There are lots of privilege differences between a free and a Pro user, and every company has something special to offer to their paying customers. In this case, you have a maximum of a single retrievable file if you are a free user, subject to the availability of the file on their server. MEGA state that server data is deleted periodically; when this happens isn’t specified. You also have fewer options if you are a free user to recover erased files.
If you are a Pro user, however, you can restore all erased files. The presence of files is also contingent on MEGA’s system server removing old data from their system server every few weeks, but much longer. A free user can also upgrade to Pro and ask to restore all deleted files.
1. Using Android to Recover MEGA Files to Your Account
Open the MEGA app on your Android phone. Now proceed to:
- Log in to your MEGA account.
- Tap on the three lines in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Tap on “Rubbish bin.”
- Put a checkmark in the box next to each file you want to recover.
- Tap the “Restore” icon at the bottom of the screen and the files will be restored to your MEGA account.
2. Restoring MEGA Files on iOS Devices
Follow the same steps as given in the Android recovery method to log in to the MEGA iOS app. Then:
- Tap the three dots in the top right corner of the screen.
- Select “Rubbish bin.”
- Check the box next to each file you want to recover.
- Tap on the “Restore” icon at the bottom of the screen, and the files will be back in your MEGA account.
3. Recover Files from MEGA on PC or Mac
If you want to rescue erased MEGA account files via a computer, there are a few applications you can use. One example is a data recovery software such as “iMyFone D-Back Hard Drive Recovery Expert”. Though we aren’t affiliated, we’ll use it for a quick demonstration. This only applies if you’ve ever downloaded those files to your machine.
- Download and install iMyFone D-Back Hard Drive Recovery Expert on your computer.
- Select the location when you launch the recovery tool. In other words, choose the disk where your deleted MEGA files were kept in the user interface.
- Start scanning. The data restoration software can run the entire scan in a reasonable time. The scanning activity will be visible at the top of the interface, with a progress bar.
- You may also stop the scanning process by clicking the pause button in the upper-right corner at your convenience.
- You can click on Preview to view MEGA files after the scan is finished. The program will highlight the file type, name, or date in the search bar.
- To continue, select the Recover option and store your data in a particular location on the system.
4. Reach Out to MEGA Customer Support
As you can see, in most cases, you can retrieve MEGA files only when you have access to the Rubbish bin. In some exceptions, even with access, you cannot rescue lost or deleted data if the bin doesn’t have them. If so, kindly email [email protected]. Ensure you’re using an email address on record with MEGA. Describe the deleted file types and when they are removed in a brief note and ask them to assist with recovery.
If you’re a Pro user, include the membership level (Pro Lite, Pro I, Pro II, and so on) in the subject line of your email message. Their support staff will help you restore all your deleted files on their server. They will also send a notice confirming the procedure. For this, you’ll have to visit the MEGA Help Center. You can also reach the support team through the MEGA Contact Us page.