Xiaomi Mi smartphones are among the best-selling phones around the world. Mi, like other companies, allows users to back up and restore their precious data through different services and Suites. For example, there’s Mi Cloud to save the data on the cloud, or you can opt for Mi PC Suite. Regardless of the method you follow, you must have a backup first to get the data restored. If you don’t have a backup, the last method in this guide may help you restore Mi phone data.
Method 1: Restore Local Backup on Mi Phone
If you have a local backup, restoring data on your Mi phone is simple and easy if you follow these instructions:
- Open Settings on your Mi phone and tap the ‘Additional settings’ option.
- Tap on ‘Backup & reset’ from the list of options available.
- On the next screen, tap on the ‘Restore’ button at the bottom.
- You will now see all the backups created by you listed on the screen. Select the most recent one and tap on the ‘Restore’ button again.
- The restoration process will begin, and all your data will be back on the phone.
Reminder — The local backup restoration process can only work if you have created a backup of Mi Phone data previously.
Method 2: Instructions to Back Up and Retrieve Phone Data via Mi Cloud
A thing to note about data is that it can be backed up and restored from Mi Cloud. This only works once you open the settings menu on your Mi phone and choose a choice to back up your phone using Mi Cloud. The process is as follows:
- Go to your phone’s Settings and select the option that says Mi Account.
- Tap Mi Cloud on the next screen to use the cloud backup function.
- Now, tap the ‘Backup’ option on the screen that follows.
- After your phone has finished uploading your data to Mi Cloud, you’re ready to download it at any moment.
Restoring Mi Phone via Mi Cloud
Now, it is possible to recover your phone from a Mi Cloud backup in the same manner you created one. Simply ensure you have Internet access and then follow these steps to restore a backup on your Mi smartphone.
- Select the Mi Account option from the Settings app on your phone.
- To access your cloud account, go to the next screen and select ‘Mi Cloud’.
- To continue, tap ‘Restore from backup’.
Method 3: Backing Up and Retrieving Data using Mi PC Suite
Xiaomi has software called Mi PC Suite that allows you to back up and restore data on your phone from your computer. This software is completely free to use on your PC. Here’s how it works:
1. Back Up Mi Phone to PC through Suite
The PC suite makes backing up your Mi phone as simple as pressing a few buttons.
- Install and run Mi PC Suite on your computer.
- Connect your phone to your PC using a USB cable. You may need to enable USB debugging.
- On the main PC suite screen, pick ‘Backups’.
- To begin backing up your phone, tap the ‘Back up now’ button.
2. Get Mi Phone Data Back using PC Suite
If you’ve backed up your contacts and application files to a PC Suite backup (as shown above) on your phone, you can restore those files from the suite. The procedure is as follows.
- Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
- Run Mi PC Suite and opt for the ‘Recovery’ option.
- Select the backup you wish to restore, and it will be restored on your phone.
Last Resort: Recover Mi Phone Without Backup
What if you’ve lost your files but don’t have any backups? As you can see, it’s efficient and less time-consuming to recover data if you have a backup. Luckily, even if you didn’t make a backup before losing data, you could recover files from your Mi device using a third-party recovery tool. You can pick any, but the steps will look like this:
- Download any of the data recovery software for Android.
- Launch the tool and connect your Mi device to your PC or Mac.
- Select ‘Scan’ to run the data recovery software.
- Enable USB debugging if the tool requests it.
- Select the files you wish to recover, preview them and pick the ‘Recover’ option to retrieve erased data from your Mi smartphone.