Nearly all Xiaomi phones are MIUI based, which means you can restore your saved data through a local backup. But, there is one condition in all the cases—you must have created its backup file. Like Android, MIUI devices also let you back up and restore your precious files. However, the only difference is that the restoration process may seem too complex to some users. There are multiple ways to get it done, and they are all explained in our guide on restoring the local backup in MIUI. Note that for Mi, Redmi, and POCO phones the restoration process is identical if they’re MIUI-based.
1: Create and Restore MIUI Backups using the MI PC Suite
There are two ways to back up your data in MIUI:
- Through the built-in Backup app
- Via the MI PC Suite
In this article, we will focus on the second one, hence follow these steps to use Mi PC Suite to backup and restore your data:
- Download and install the latest version of the MI PC suite on your computer.
- Connect your phone to the computer via a USB cable.
- On your phone, go to Settings → About phone → tap on the MIUI version 7 times to enable “Developer options.”
- Go back to “Settings” and select Additional settings → Developer options. Enable the “USB debugging” option.
- On your computer, open the MI PC Suite and wait for it to detect your phone.
- Once your phone is detected, click on the “Backup” button.
- Select the data you want to back up and click on the Start backup button. Wait for the backup process to complete.
Now, to restore your data:
- Press the “Restore” button and select the backup file that you want to use.
- Click on the “Start Restore” button and wait for the process to finish.
2: Using Local Backup to Create and Restore MIUI Phone Data
If you don’t have access to a computer or the Internet, you can back up your phone’s local storage to save it on your phone.
1. Backing Up Data to Local Storage
You can back up your phone using the settings menu. The following steps show you how to make a local backup of your MIUI phone using this method.
- Go to “Additional settings” from the Settings app’s menu.
- Choose “Local backups” from the menu.
- Tap the “Back up” option to create a backup of your MIUI-based phone.
Restoring Local Backup in MIUI
You can restore your local backup on your phone using the same settings menu.
- Head to “Settings” and go to Additional settings → Backup & reset → Local backups.
- Pick the backup you wish to restore on your phone.
- Check the files once restored on your phone.
Guide to Restore Data from on MIUI Phone without Backup (Last Resort)
When you have a backup, it’s easier to recover your data. What if you’ve deleted your files but don’t own any backups? At such times, you can use a tool such as Tenorshare Android Recovery (merely an example for our demonstration) for MIUI operating system phones. Even if you didn’t make a backup before losing data, you can use this PC-based software to retrieve it from your mobile device. Follow these instructions to do so:
- Download Tenorshare UltData for Android and install it, then launch it on your PC.
- On the main screen, select “Recover Data”.
- Using a USB cable, connect your phone to your computer. On your phone, turn on “USB debugging”.
- To begin the recovery operation on your phone, press and hold the Power button for a few seconds.
- Select “Yes, I want to continue” in the dialog box. Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Pick your files and hit “Recover” to restore them to your phone.