There’s a large demand for getting messages exchanged using an OPPO phone back. After all, OPPO is one of the leading smartphone manufacturers. Furthermore, messages users send and receive are oftentimes crucial to their daily life, for personal or professional reasons. In fact, reasons are entirely irrelevant—no one needs to justify their desire and consequent actions in this regard. We respect that, and though we’ll suggest you reach out to third parties, that should be your last resort. Moreover, reputable software developers don’t have access to your data and will help reconnect you while respecting your privacy. Now, let’s dive into how to restore messages from OPPO.
1. Restore messages from an OPPO cloud backup
Though we usually start with offline methods, OPPO made it extremely convenient for users to periodically upload a backup automatically. What’s more, they decided to double-down and offer two cloud backup services for free:
- OPPO Cloud or HeyTap Cloud: A native cloud storage service that permits up to 5 GB of data free of charge.
- Google Drive: Up to 15 GB of files for free. Accessible through the eponymous smartphone application.
This was a reminder of where to look for your messages if it’s been a while. For detailed instructions, look no further than the steps listed under method 3 of our “how to restore an OPPO phone” article. Unfortunately, both procedures require you to download and rescue data from an entire backup—you can’t pick and choose. Without third-party backup extractor tools, that is, which we don’t recommend using.
2. Get messages back from a local OPPO backup
OPPO phones offer a simple way to create a local backup of several types of data. If you have been nudged toward doing so in the past, you can simply retrieve text files from that backup. Unless the backup is already on your phone storage, you’ll need to copy it from an SD card, HDD, SSD, or download it.
The guide for restoring an OPPO smartphone we mentioned covers all kinds of data. Unsurprisingly, SMSes/messages are included on that list. Moreover, as you can see from method 2, sub-method 1 in that article, you neither have to retrieve an entire backup file like in method 1 above nor perform a factory reset. Instead, you can simply tick the box in front of Messages before tapping on Start. Pretty convenient, and we certainly advise it, if possible.
Third-party application (Situational)
While on the topic of local backups, we ought to ask you this: did you ever use a third-party messaging application that included a backup feature? If so, that’s an alley you may explore. We’ll use a well-known Android app for demonstration:
- Download SMS Backup & Restore on the Google Play Store.
- Install and run the app, then tap the three-line menu in the upper left corner.
- Select Restore.
- Optional. If this is your first time opening the app after you lost your OPPO SMS, try to avoid creating a new backup by turning the toggle switch off for Messages under “Set Up Backup”. This will prevent overwriting, and you have nothing to back up.
- Tap Next until you’re allowed to go back to the screen from step 3.
- Tap on View Details under the local backup on the list.
- Follow short on-screen instructions to rescue messages from a local backup.
3. Restore OPPO device messages using data recovery software
If the two techniques above fail to produce results, all hope seems lost. That, thankfully, isn’t the case. With time, some luck, and the right software for data recovery, you can scour the storage of your OPPO phone for remnants of your messages. Follow these instructions to restore messages from an OPPO smart device through software for data retrieval:
Data restoration software
The first and, frankly, faster and more effective option, is using software for data rescue installed on your Windows or Mac computer. Then, connect your OPPO smart device via a USB cable, ensure necessary permissions are given and let it dig through the storage and report results. If possible, data will return to the original location. Alternatively, you can select a custom one. With that said, there’s a wide array of companies offering this benefit. Luckily, they all have a comparable UI (User Interface) and somewhat similar steps.
Using Wondershare Dr.Fone data recovery software
Though we have no affiliation, we’ll demonstrate the procedure with a popular option, Wondershare Dr.Fone. Here’s what to do:
- Download Wondershare Dr.Fone – Data Recovery for Mac or Windows.
- Install and run the software.
- When it boots, on the “Connect your device to PC” page, click the Recover Android Data tab.
- Connect your OPPO smartphone and your computer using a USB cable. You need to enable USB debugging in your phone settings:
- Older OPPO phones: Tap the back button while on the Settings page. Head over to Additional Settings before going to Developer Options. Toggle the switch next to “Developer Options” to on. Toggle USB Debugging to on.
- OPPO using ColorOS 11 and later: Open Settings. Scroll down and tap Additional settings. Choose Developer options. Find USB debugging and toggle the eponymous option.
- Select Recover phone data in the sidebar on the left.
- Put a checkmark in front of Messages n the right-hand side.
- Click on Next.
- Select whether to Scan for deleted files (quick scan) or Scan all files (comprehensive).
- Give permissions for a temporary root of your device. It won’t void your warranty.
- Wait for the scan to finish. Select messages on the right-hand side.
- Choose between Recover to Device or Recover to Computer.
In the first case, your messages can be returned to the original location, though you may have to clear the Messages app cache. Otherwise, you must browse your phone’s storage and copy them to the appropriate location. We urge using the first option.
Data rescue application
Don’t have access to a computer? No problem. Dr.Fone offers an Android application for data retrieval that does the same job, albeit slower and with a lower success rate. Again, we have no ties to the developer and there are plenty of alternatives. The procedure looks like this:
- Download Dr.Fone Kit from Google Play.
- After you install and launch the app, tap on Recovery.
- Select Messages Recovery then Next.
- Wait for the scan to finish. You’ll see how many messages were retrieved. Tap on Next or Recover.
- Optional. Clear cache for the Messages app on your OPPO phone.