Looking to restore a WhatsApp phone number you’re prohibited to access? We understand – you probably didn’t know you were doing anything against the rules. Don’t stress about it! We’ll teach you not only how to retrieve your account on WhatsApp, but also point you in the right direction in terms of not getting banned again. Think of it as a lesson and not a disaster. We have to warn you though, you’re at the mercy of the app owners, so be civil, patient, and keep things short. Here’s how to recover a banned WhatsApp account.
Why am I banned on WhatsApp?
We already mentioned why. You didn’t adhere to the ‘Acceptable Use of Our Services’ part of WhatsApp’s Terms of Service. It’s just the length that’s in question.
You did one or more of the following:
- Using a modified (unofficial) version of the application such as GB WhatsApp, WhatsApp Plus, WhatsApp OG.
- Spamming a person or sending messages in bulk.
- Sending inappropriate content or changing group names to something inappropriate
- Adding people to groups without their permission
- Sending malware
- Impersonating others
- Selling illegal services or products
The ban, depending on the severity, can last between 24 hours and 72 hours.
There’s no expiration date because your infraction was serious. You can also be permanently banned after a temporary ban. For example, if you fail to comply with uninstalling an unofficial WhatsApp application.
How to activate a banned WhatsApp number
1. Wait it out
If you were banned temporarily, the easiest remedy is to simply wait for the punishment to expire.
2. Backup messages and recover them in the official app
Did you use a third-party version of WhatsApp and they terminated your account for it? In that case, you can back up messages. Then, import them after the ban was removed.
For GB WhatsApp on Android and iOS (after the ban is lifted):
- Tap on More options.
- Go to Chats.
- Tap on Back up chats.
- Open your File Manager app.
- Search for a folder named ‘GB WhatsApp‘.
- When you find it, you need to rename it to ‘WhatsApp‘ only.
It’s most likely tapping on More or three dots in the top right corner, then selecting Rename.
- Now, download one of the following apps:
WhatsApp for Android, Android APK, or Android for iOS.
- Enter your phone number.
- Verify it by accepting a call or entering an authentication code.
- You’ll see a Backup found screen immediately.
- Tap Restore.
- Tap Next.
- WhatsApp imported your chats now.
The chat history is automatically restored For WhatsApp Plus and WhatsApp OG. Or, it might show up as an available backup after you verify the phone number.
3. Contact WhatsApp support
So, you opened the application. Then, you saw the message: “Your phone number is banned from using WhatsApp. Contact support for help”. We’re sorry to tell you, but the WhatsApp team prohibited you from accessing the app forever. However, you can still appeal the decision.
- Tap on the Support option in the bottom left corner.
- A new window opens up.
- Briefly describe the situation in the first textbox.
- Optional. You can add up to 3 screenshots from your Camera Roll if it helps demonstrate what happened.
- You’ll have to select This didn’t answer my question after tapping on Have you read our FAQ yet?
- Tap on Next in the upper right corner.
- The app will send the appeal to [email protected] automatically.
You can also e-mail [email protected] or [email protected].
- Wait for them to look into the case and give you a response.
- This can last an hour or a day, and you might never get a resolution.
4. Move on
If nothing works, simply move on. It might be a tough pill to swallow, but it’s a reasonable solution. Get a new number, install the official app, and make sure to stay out of trouble this time.