Saw an interesting post on Reddit with a lot of replies, but some of them have a [removed] message instead of the content? Whether the user deleted them, or they were eradicated by a Reddit moderator or administration, those comments is gone, and for good. And while you cannot restore them directly, remember the parole, “nothing ever really disappears on the Internet”. There are still ways to see comments as they were at one point in time. Keep in mind, the sooner you act, the better. Also, most methods do not require any installation. Now, let’s show you how to recover deleted Reddit comments.
1. Utilize tools for recovery of deleted Reddit comments
Posts and comments on Reddit are tied closely together. For that reason, you can use all methods in our “how to recover deleted Reddit posts” guide. Here are a few additional guidelines required to recover Reddit comments successfully:
This is a superior method and you should use Reveddit over Removeddit for Reddit comments. That’s because you can search by username, rather than being forced to find the Reddit post itself first. The browser extensions are equally powerful but optional.
2. Removeddit [Discontinued]
If you decide to use method 1, click on the tiny link stating X comments (X being the total number of comments, not deleted comments), not reddit or ceddit links next to it. Methods 2 and 3 work in the same fashion, only make sure you’re using the correct URL. For example, https://reddit.com/r/all/post-name/comments/ instead of https://reddit.com/r/all/post-name. Once again, blue represents comments deleted by users, while comments in red represent those deleted by moderators or administrators on Reddit.
3. Wayback Machine
This has a greater chance to work with posts on Reddit. After all, those URLs draw more activity and thus produce more screenshots. However, if you have a direct URL, you can most likely see multiple iterations of the comment in question, if it was edited. This isn’t possible with any other method.
4. Google Cache
Once again, chances of success are much lower. We recommend using this if very little time has passed. Also, only try this when you have a clear idea of the subreddit and post the comment was in. Once again, a direct URL to the comment on Reddit is the best-case scenario.
2. Use ReSavr to restore erased Reddit comments
Once upon a time, due to ReSavr’s limited resources, only comments over 1000 characters were eligible for restoration. We’re saying this because the number is still floating around. Currently, you can retrieve deleted Reddit comments with 650+ characters via ReSavr like this:
- Visit Resavr.com.
- Choose one of the following methods:
- If you have an URL to the comments or the post itself, paste it into the search bar in the top right corner.
- If the comment was deleted recently, find it in the list below. To update the list, click on the Most Recent Comments button.
Tip. If you mouseover the shortened comments, a window with a longer version appears, allowing you to quickly skim through. Also, if you open the entire comment, you can see when it was posted and how long it stayed online. This data can be useful for the Wayback Machine method.
3. Use browser extensions to recover deleted Reddit comments
Although there’s no need to install any third-party software, to each their own. Use these 2 browser extensions to regain access to erased Reddit comments:
1. Utilize Unreddit to retrieve deleted Reddit comments
Unreddit used to be a website much like Removeddit and Reveddit. However, it was shut down and the developers decided to focus on the browser extension instead. Both of them open-source and available on GitHub, which eradicates any suspicious code. Also, it pulls data from the same database and uses the same API as Removeddit and should, in theory, produce identical results. With that said, download the extension by searching for ‘Unreddit‘ on the Chrome Web Store or Firefox Browser Add-Ons. The comments removed on Reddit will be highlighted in red.
2. Install Un-Delete reddit Comments
This extension can’t help if the comments are gone already. However, it can act as a safeguard against losing Reddit comments in the future. Follow these steps to install and use Un-Delete reddit Comments:
- Search for ‘Un-Delete reddit Comments’ in the Chrome Web Store.
- Click on Add to Chrome in the top right corner.
- Open a Reddit post and/or a specific comment on Reddit.
- Click on the extension’s icon in the bookmarks bar.
- Confirm that the URL is correct. Click on Cache this Permalink.
- You cached the entire page, and can revisit it should you need to.
4. Contacting Reddit’s Support
So you’ve tried all the tools and techniques to recover those deleted comments on Reddit, but nothing seems to be working. The question is, why not reach out to Reddit support and see if they can lend a hand? They might have some secret tricks up their sleeves to help you get back those precious comments.
Here’s how you can reach them:
- Go to Reddit’s request submission page. Click on this link: (https://support.reddithelp.com/hc/en-us/requests/new)
- A page has been opened with the name “Submit a request”.
- You see an option coming, “What do you need assistance with?”, You have to click on that.
- Multiple options are prompted in front of you. You have to select “I need help with my account”.
- After selecting it, a form appeared in front of you where your contact details were asked.
- There is an option coming after “Your email address”; “What type of account issues are occurring?”, click on it.
- Then select “Others”.
- Fill out the exact information, like username and contact details.
- Write the title of your problem in the “Subject of inquiry” option.
[In this case, Recovery of deleted comments.]
- Now, in the “Details of inquiry” option:
- Spill all the details about the problem you’re facing.
- Give them a clear and concise explanation.
- The more information you provide to them, the better they can help you out.
- Also include if you have relevant attachments in context for recovering your deleted comments.
- At last, tap on “Submit” to give your request a go.
The Reddit support team will take a look at your request and do their thing to assist you once you’ve submitted it. Just be patient and wait for their response.
Remember, contacting the Reddit support team is especially handy when you’re dealing with stuff like the recovery of deleted comments, hacked reddit accounts, major rule violations, or anything else that’s causing a headache.