Founded in 2007, Tumblr is a popular social media website focused on microblogging. Moreover, it has over 15 million monthly active users in the United States alone. Unlike Twitter, Tumblr allows its users to express their opinion and ideas without a word-count cap. This makes it popular among people who want to freely voice their thoughts through words, photos, or other media files. As most Tumblr users treat and love their posts like a public diary, it would be truly heart-wrenching if they suddenly disappear from the account. Hence, in this article, we will show you several ways to recover a deleted Tumblr post and how to make a backup to keep it safe.
Recover Posts from Tumblr Using Manual Backup
This is probably the simplest way to recover any deleted Tumblr post using a computer. As long as you’re willing to find and rescue one post at a time, the built-in backup feature is the way to go. Unfortunately, you must have access to an HTML version of the post you couldn’t afford to lose. While it might be too late for old posts, we’ll go over the procedure to ensure no new ones disappear.
Backing up Individual Posts or Entire Blog
Open Tumblr on your computer’s web browser and use your credentials to log into your account. Once you’re on the account dashboard, do this:
- Open the post you want to back up.
- Click the “three horizontal dots” option in the upper-right corner of the post. A new window with multiple options opens.
- Click on the “Edit” option.
- Once the editing window launches, click the “gear/cogwheel” icon.
- Now, click on the “drop-down” option of the “Text Editor” and select “HTML” to open the code version of the post.
- Now, copy the whole HTML code of the post and paste it into a text file on your computer.
Tumblr also lets you create a backup of the blog in full. To do so, sign in to your account, then head into “Settings” in the top right corner. Select your blog on the right-hand side, and scroll down to find the option titled “Export <blog name>”. The processing bar will turn into a “Download backup” button once the ZIP archive is ready. You’ll also get an e-mail notification.
Opening Downloaded Posts
Now, if you ever accidentally delete the Tumblr post on the website, you can restore it at a moment’s notice. To do so, copy-paste the HTML code belonging to the post from your saved text file to a .HTML file (you may also use an online HTML code preview tool). Besides text, this lets you see photos, videos, GIFs, and other forms of media. If you downloaded the archive, you can find all types of posts in an HTML file format inside the Posts folder.
Recover Post You Deleted on Tumblr Using Archive.org
Archive.org is a renowned website that allows you to check how a particular web page looked at a certain point, and not only that. These “snapshots” allow you to study many other relevant details related to the page and its content. To do so, navigate to the website’s “Wayback Machine” section. As long as you have the URL of your deleted Tumblr post, and it wasn’t deleted immediately after you posted it, this website should help you retrieve your post’s data. Proceed this way:
- Open the Internet Archive Wayback Machine page and paste the URL of the erased Tumblr post in the “Search” box.
- Next, click on the “Browse History” button. If the snapshots of your removed Tumblr post are available, it will show you different dates in the calendar when the snapshots were taken.
- Put your cursor on the highlighted date. A box menu, containing the link or links to the details and a snapshot of the page you selected, will pop up.
- Click on the link in the menu. You will be redirected to the snapshot and become privy to all the information collected for the deleted post.
Use cPanel to Create and Restore Tumblr Backup (Situational)
cPanel is a Linux-based control panel that lets you manage your website remotely, including making manual backups. Likewise, you can backup your entire Tumblr blog after linking your account for the platform to your website domain. We won’t get into the procedure at this time. However, if you’ve done this in the past or can do so now, you may create a backup of your whole Tumblr blog using cPanel. Follow these instructions:
- Create an account with cPanel if you don’t have one before signing in.
- Next, in the “File” section, click on the “Backup Wizard” icon. This will bring you to the backup screen.
- Now, click on the “Backup” icon.
- Click on the “Full backup” option and pick a file path to download the backup file.
- Next, go to the “Files” option.
- Once it’s done, click on the “Select the backup” option and then “Download”.
With this, a backup of your Tumblr blog will be saved. You can utilize Backup Wizard to restore your blog’s content if you suffer data loss. Posts will be inside.