Getting hacked is every gamer’s nightmare. After all, you will lose the gaming data and the achievements you have worked hours and hours to build to some pesky cybercriminal. When it comes to famous games like World of Warcraft, these hacking cases are even more frequent. These types of hackers are notorious for stealing your golds, your gear, and even the characters that you have worked so hard to develop. With thousands of hackers targeting the Blizzard MMORPG daily, there is no guarantee you won’t be the next victim. Therefore, in this article, we will show you how to recover a hacked World of Warcraft account. Let’s get into it.
Signs Your World of Warcraft Account Was Hacked
Does your World of Warcraft account have a bunch of unusual activities you aren’t responsible for? If that’s the case, it’s a big red flag, and your WoW (World of Warcraft) account has probably been hacked. Here are some of the major signs that your in-game account has been compromised:
- You are constantly getting notifications that someone is trying to change the email ID or password connected to your World of Warcraft account on Battle.net
- You’re unable to find some of your in-game characters. Alternatively, the characters have been unnaturally modified
- Many of your characters are missing their gear, weapons, and other items
- No matter how many times you try, you are unable to log into your WoW gaming account
If you notice unusual changes in the Battle.net account, which is connected to your World of Warcraft account, you should immediately change your account password to make it more secure. However, cybercriminals would always try to change the security settings of your gaming account. That includes your email address as well. As a result, the gamers are often unable to get into their gaming account. Now, you will learn to recover your hacked World of Warcraft account in three different scenarios.
1. Recover the Hacked World of Warcraft Account if You Can Still Log In
If you’re still able to log in to your Battle.net account, follow these instructions to recover the hacked World of Warcraft account:
- Go to the “Dashboard” and click on the “Account” option in the top menu.
- Click the “Settings” option.
- Once a drop-down menu appears, click on the “Change Password” option.
- A new prompt will appear asking for your current password for authentication requirements. Here, type your current gaming account password to continue.
- Now, enter a new password for your World of Warcraft account. Make sure that the new password is at least 8 characters long and has a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols.
- Click on the “Save” button. Now, you can use the new password to log into your gaming account.
Pro Tip: Just to be careful, you should also change the password of the email account connected to your WoW account. After all, there’s no guarantee that your email account hasn’t been compromised as well.
2. Restoring Your WoW Account through Security Questions
The hackers will try everything in their power to keep you away from your gaming account until they finish their job. That’s why in many past WoW hacking cases, the gamers were unable to get into their account. If you are one of those victims and unable to sign in to your WoW account, follow these steps to recover it:
- Open the “Sign-in” page and click on the “Can’t Log In” option.
- Once the next page appears, click on the “I don’t know my password” option.
- Now, you will be asked to type the email ID associated with your WoW account. Enter the email ID connected to your gaming account to continue.
- Next, you will have to answer at least two security questions.
- Once you answer the security questions correctly, you will regain access to your account. Follow the steps mentioned in the previous method to change your gaming account password.
3. Contact Blizzard to Recover Inaccessible World of Warcraft Account
If you’re still unable to recover your WoW account even after going through the “Can’t Log In” option, that means:
- You probably don’t remember the correct answers to the security questions
- The hacker has probably acted pretty fast and changed these questions
Unfortunately, the problems don’t end here. The cybercriminal can also hack into the email ID connected to your WoW account and replace the email ID for your account. Thus, even if you search for it, you will only get the “Account is not found” message. While nobody wants to see such a dreadful message, what’s done is done. If you find yourself in any of these scenarios, contacting Blizzard Entertainment (developers and owners of World of Warcraft) is the only option. Do the following to get your World of Warcraft account back by reaching out to Blizzard Entertainment:
- Create a Battle.net account to officially communicate with Blizzard Entertainment.
- Next, go to the Blizzard Support page to raise a ticket and explain how your real WoW account has been hacked.
- Once the support team contacts you, answer the questions about the compromised account and submit the proof of ownership.
Now, the support team will locate your account and review the activity history to verify your claim. Once they confirm you are the owner of the gaming account, they should restore it within a few days.