So, you lost the password to your Mi account, and now you are locked out. Although the situation might seem serious, you should know you’re not the only one. Furthermore, Xiaomi is aware this happens often and will aid your effort. Long story short, as long as can recall some of the account information, you have a very good chance. Another prerequisite is that you have access to your e-mail address and phone number. This is not mandatory, as you’ll see below, but you’ll need other ways to prove your identity. With that out of the way, here’s how to recover Mi account password.
Steps required to retrieve Mi account password
1. Using the e-mail address or phone number
- Open the Xiaomi Accounts page.
- Click on Forgot password?
- Enter the e-mail address or phone number and click on Next.
- After you press Next, in both cases, you will have to enter a Captcha code shown on the screen to prove you’re human.
- Tap on Send.
- If your identity is verified (through the device you’re using or an IP address), you can proceed. In case it isn’t, Xiaomi promises to contact you within 3 working days.
- If you entered an e-mail address at step #3, you’ll receive an e-mail with a verification code (look for OTP – one-time password).
- If you entered your phone number at step #3, you’ll receive a verification code in form of an SMS (OTP).
- Enter the verification code you received as an e-mail or SMS and press Submit.
- You can enter your new password twice and press Submit again.
- If everything went according to plan, you’ll receive the message Changed password successfully.
- Click on Back, then sign in with your Mi account to verify that it works.
2. Recovery via Security Questions
In addition to the methods mentioned in the article, another way to recover your Mi account password is through the use of security questions. This option can be helpful if you have set up security questions during the initial account creation process. Here’s how you can recover your Mi account password using security questions:
- Go to the Xiaomi Accounts page and click on “Forgot password?”
- On the account recovery page, select the option for “Recovering Via Security Questions“.
- Enter the relevant information, such as your Mi account ID, email address, or phone number.
- If the system recognizes your account and checks your information, you will be asked to answer the security questions you already set up.
- Provide the correct answers to the security questions accurately. Double-check your answers to confirm they match the ones you first supplied.
- If your answers are correct, you will be allowed to reset your Mi account password.
- Enter your new password twice to confirm the change.
- A confirmation message will be sent to you if the password change is successful.
- Finally, click on “Back” and proceed to sign in with your Mi account using the new password to verify that it works.
It’s important to note that the availability of security questions may vary depending on the region and the account setup process. If you haven’t set up security questions for your Mi account, this recovery option may not be available to you.
3. Desperate attempt: Contact Mi Help team
This is applicable if your Mi account was hacked, or if it’s an old account where you either forgot the ID/phone number, or you no longer have access to them. As long as you can provide some information (especially Mi account ID) that can be matched in their database, this can be your saving grace.
Visit the Xiaomi Contact Us page.
- If your country is on the list, you have a phone number, e-mail address, contact form, online chat, or in-person service hours. Choose whichever is available and fits your needs.
- If your country isn’t on the list, the only form of communication is through e-mail. Compose a message, briefly explain your situation, but don’t put any login credentials. Send it to [email protected] and wait for a response. The representatives only use English, so keep that in mind.
And that was it, those are all the instructions to recover Mi account password you need. After you get it back, post on the Mi Community about us!
Related: Recover Mi Account Data
Two-factor Authentication for Enhanced Security
Securing our online accounts is crucial in the digital era of today to safeguard our personal data. While the article provides a comprehensive guide on recovering a Mi account password, it fails to mention the significance of enabling two-factor authentication (2FA) as an additional layer of security. Implementing 2FA can greatly enhance the security of your Mi account and prevent unauthorized access. Here’s how you can set up 2FA for your Mi account:
- Access the Xiaomi Accounts page and “Sign in” to your Mi account.
- Navigate to the “Account settings” or “Security settings section“.
- Look for the option to enable two-factor authentication, or 2FA.
- Choose your preferred method of authentication. Xiaomi typically offers options such as SMS verification, app-based authentication (e.g., using Google Authenticator), or email verification.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup process for your chosen authentication method.
- Once enabled, each time you log in to your Mi account, you will be prompted to provide an additional verification code or approve the login request through your chosen method.
By enabling two-factor authentication, you add an extra layer of protection to your Mi account. Without the verification code from your selected authentication method, even if someone gets to get their hands on your password, they won’t be able to access your account. It is highly recommended to use 2FA for all your online accounts, including your Mi account, to safeguard your personal data effectively.