So, you lost the password to your Mi account, and now you are locked out. Although the situation might seem serious, you should know you’re not the only one. Furthermore, Xiaomi is aware this happens often and will aid your effort. Long story short, as long as can recall some of the account information, you have a very good chance. Another prerequisite is that you have access to your e-mail address and phone number. This is not mandatory, as you’ll see below, but you’ll need other ways to prove your identity. With that out of the way, here’s how to recover Mi account password.
Steps required to retrieve Mi account password
1. Using the e-mail address or phone number
- Open the Xiaomi Accounts page.
- Click on Forgot password?
- Enter the e-mail address or phone number and click on Next.
- After you press Next, in both cases, you will have to enter a Captcha code shown on the screen to prove you’re human.
- Tap on Send.
- If your identity is verified (through the device you’re using or an IP address), you can proceed. In case it isn’t, Xiaomi promises to contact you within 3 working days.
- If you entered an e-mail address at step #3, you’ll receive an e-mail with a verification code (look for OTP – one-time password).
- If you entered your phone number at step #3, you’ll receive a verification code in form of an SMS (OTP).
- Enter the verification code you received as an e-mail or SMS and press Submit.
- You can enter your new password twice and press Submit again.
- If everything went according to plan, you’ll receive the message Changed password successfully.
- Click on Back, then sign in with your Mi account to verify that it works.
2. Desperate attempt: Contact Mi Help team
This is applicable if your Mi account was hacked, or if it’s an old account where you either forgot the ID/phone number, or you no longer have access to them. As long as you can provide some information (especially Mi account ID) that can be matched in their database, this can be your saving grace.
Visit the Xiaomi Contact Us page.
- If your country is on the list, you have a phone number, e-mail address, contact form, online chat, or in-person service hours. Choose whichever is available and fits your needs.
- If your country isn’t on the list, the only form of communication is through e-mail. Compose a message, briefly explain your situation, but don’t put any login credentials. Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org and wait for a response. The representatives only use English, so keep that in mind.
And that was it, those are all the instructions to recover Mi account password you need. After you get it back, post on the Mi Community about us!