Microsoft Team is a great resource for storing, sharing, and collaborating on various files and documents with people you know. It achieved exponential growth in popularity, especially during the pandemic. However, one of the greatest drawbacks of Microsoft Teams is that it does not have a Recycle Bin. So, how do you get your files back if you have deleted them accidentally? What if it is an important file? In a few cases, you can ask the sender to resend the file. But, what if you cannot ask them to resend? Or what if the sender has also deleted the particular file? Are you facing a similar problem?
Well, you have reached the right destination. We have listed a few methods that will help you get back all your deleted Microsoft Teams files. Just keep reading and find the solution that perfectly fits you. Follow all the instructions given below and that’s it. You will be easily able to recover your files in no time.
Method 1 – Recovering Deleted Microsoft Teams File from SharePoint
What is SharePoint?
As mentioned before, Microsoft Teams does not have a Recycle Bin to temporarily store data. But did you know that it has a secret Recycle Bin that stores all your deleted data? Yes, you heard that right. You just need to dig a bit further into your Microsoft Teams account to find your deleted file. Every time you create a new team on Teams, it creates a dedicated SharePoint site in the background. This site contains a dedicated folder under its Documents Library. Once you delete any file on your Microsoft Team, it immediately moves to this SharePoint site.
How to Recover Files from it?
So, in this method, we will be recovering all your deleted files from your dedicated SharePoint Site. If you don’t know how to do it, here are the steps that you need to follow –
- Open the Microsoft Teams application from your computer.
- Go to the Files tab from the menu on your top.
- Click on Open in SharePoint. If your screen size is a bit small, you won’t be able to see this option. In such cases, click on the three dots on the menu. Then click on Open in SharePoint.
- This will now take you to the SharePoint site attached to the particular Microsoft Team. SharePoint may ask you to log in first. If asked, log in with your Microsoft Account credentials.
- Now, from the list of options on the side panel to your left, click on Recycle Bin.
- A list of all the files that you have previously deleted appear here. Select all the files that you want to recover by checking the round checkbox near each file.
- Now, click on Restore on the top menu.
- Finally, go back to the Documents folder on your SharePoint site and check whether the files you restored now are present there. If they are present, it means that you have successfully restored your files.
That’s it! You can now go back to your Microsoft Teams application and refresh your page. The refresh icon is present in the top right corner (In the same line as your files tab). Once you refresh your page, all the files that you have recovered now appear back.
Method 2 – Contacting Microsoft Support Team
If you have tried the above method, and still cannot recover your deleted data, then this may mean that Microsoft has permanently deleted your files. There is almost no possibility to get your files back. However, there is one possible method that can help you out — the Microsoft Support Team. You can try contacting the Microsoft Support Team and request them to give your files back. Here is how you do it –
- Visit the official Microsoft Support page.
- Type in your problem in the search box to the top of the page.
- As you start entering the problem, a list of suggested queries appear below. If your problem is listed below, open it. A collection of official articles to help you solve your problem appears below. Read the desirable document and follow all the instructions that are listed below.
However, there is no guarantee that you will get back all your lost files. Even though, there is no harm in trying out every method possible.