In early April 2020, Netflix made locking individual profiles with a PIN (Personal Identification Number) possible. In doing so, it provided privacy to profiles that shared the same Netflix account, such as in the same household. It also made it harder for children to avoid Parental Controls and prevented others from leeching off of a Netflix account. Just ask people whose ex-significant others and acquaintances awkwardly contacted them after they enabled PIN protection. But what if you forget it as well, and it remains inaccessible to you too? We plan to solve that problem by teaching you how to recover Netflix PIN. Let’s begin.
1. Disable Netflix PIN from a web browser
Although web browser isn’t the primary medium for watching Netflix, chances are, you’re logged in to your Netflix account. Therefore, you can do the following to disable PIN for Netflix profile:
- Visit the Netflix Login page and sign in if prompted.
- Note. If the PIN you want to recover is set on any profile other than the “master” profile, press on. Otherwise, skip to method 2 immediately.
- Click on the profile image in the top right corner, then Account.
- Launch the Profile & Parental Controls settings for the profile whose PIN you want to remove.
- Click on Change under “Profile Lock”.
- Enter your Netflix account password to confirm.
- Uncheck the option titled PIN required to access <profile name> profile then click on Submit.
- Clean cache in your browser or a Netflix app. If needed, sign out, then back in.
- Netflix profile will no longer request a PIN.
2. Recover a forgotten Netflix PIN
We say forgotten because this method assumes your Netflix account hasn’t been compromised. Forgetting e-mail and password is fine; we have an in-depth guide on recovering a Netflix account. With that said, follow these steps to recover a forgotten PIN for Netflix profile:
- Sign in to your Netflix account, then select the profile whose PIN you want to retrieve.
- On the “Profile Lock”. screen, tap, click, or select the Forgot PIN? link at the bottom of the screen.
- On mobile and desktop, a new browser tab will open. For Smart TV and some Smart TV boxes, you must enter the provided URL into a web browser manually.
- Re-enter the password for your Netflix account to confirm.
- You can see the current one or enter a new PIN for the Netflix profile.
- Follow step 8 above if you decide to go with the latter option.
- Access your Netflix profile with an old or new PIN.
3. Reach out to Netflix Customer Support
Deactivating or changing PIN can fail, especially if your Netflix account was tampered with. In that case, your last resort is to contact Netflix Customer Service, as demonstrated in method 5 in the Netflix account recovery guide above. You can use webchat or make an in-app or phone call.