Have you forgotten your Nokia security code, and do you need to restore it? That’s a common issue with owners of Nokia 3310, 105, 2690, 220, Express Music 5130, and other feature mobile devices. The name implies the code is a safety feature that prevents unauthorized access and modification of private mobile phone data. That means forgetful owners without security codes can be locked from their devices even if they have access rights. While losing a security code may require a radical solution, you should try one thing first. That’s where we come in! Here’s how to recover your Nokia security code.
What is the security code for Nokia phones?
The security code for Nokia phones is a 5-digit code, 12345 by default, that protects your private information on storage and SIM card such as contacts or images. Therefore, Nokia and phone dealers encourage users to switch from the default one to prevent easy access and memorize the new code. The problem is, most people rely on a screen lock with a password or a pattern nowadays.
That leads them to forget the security code or SIM card PIN (Personal Identification Number) and PUK (Personal Unlocking Key) numbers. Losing the security code creates concerns when users want to get their data and either view or transfer it. After all, the phone treats them as unauthorized users. Therefore, Nokia device users without a security code should either reset it, try the default one, or perform a factory reset.
Can users change Nokia device security codes?
Yes, users can change their security codes for many models of Nokia devices, though it’s primarily requested on feature phones. Furthermore, users should change the security code as soon as possible. That’s because anyone who knows the default one can access or erase their phone data. We will demonstrate how to do so from Security Settings, which lets users either:
- Pick a new code they can remember if the phone accepted the default one
- Know whether the code has been changed in the past if it isn’t accepted. That should jog their memory or suggest they should ask someone who might have done it
1. Use the default security code to recover Nokia phone via Settings
To unlock your Nokia mobile phone by entering a new security code, follow these steps:
- Go to your main menu.
- Select Settings (cogwheel icon).
- Scroll options until you can choose Security.
- Select the Change code option.
- The phone asks for a current security code. If you don’t remember setting this up, type the default security code: 12345. Some users suggest trying 00000, too.
- After entering the 5-digit number, pick OK.
- Now, if you:
- Get a success message, you can enter a new security code and then select OK to perform the change.
- Fail at changing the security code, that means the code was switched from the default one and you have two options:
- Reset the code to default using the two methods below, which means wiping your data
- Reach out to Nokia or your device’s seller and authenticate yourself to ask for a master key, if applicable to your device
2. How to reset the Nokia security code if you can access the keypad
Unless you used a default code, know the new one, or can get help from the phone dealer or Nokia, you can’t proceed with the recovery of a Nokia security code without data loss. Therefore, we propose creating a backup before you proceed. Now, if you have keypad access, you can reset the Nokia device to factory settings to revert the security code in two ways:
1. Use the Settings menu to factory reset the Nokia device
Similarly to the method above, you can utilize the Settings for factory resetting Nokia devices like this:
- Open the Settings option in the Menu of your Nokia device.
- Find the Restore Factory Settings option.
- Enter your security code if you can remember it. Again, try 12345 or 00000.
- Whether it’s correct sometimes doesn’t matter. The phone will ask you to confirm the procedure, restart, and be back to the original configuration and default security code in 30–60 seconds.
2. Use USSD codes to revert the Nokia phone to the original settings
If the Settings menu doesn’t work, you can recover the Nokia phone’s security code using USSD codes like this:
- Open the call app on your Nokia device.
- Dial *#7780#, *#7370#, or *#62209526#.
- In all three cases, the phone asks if you want to “Erase and restore factory settings”. Agree and enter the aforementioned security code.
- After pressing OK, the phone will perform a hard reset and reboot within 30–60 seconds. Again, it reverts to the default security code, but all personal data is lost.
3. Revert your Nokia to factory settings when the phone is locked
If you can’t get to your home screen or keypad or the methods above fail to work, you can format your Nokia phone while booting. Follow these instructions to reset your Nokia security phone with a locked phone:
- Power your Nokia phone off.
- Press and hold these three buttons on the keypad in this order:
- Call button (green button on the left side or an icon of a phone)
- Asterisk key (*) in the bottom left or right corner
- Number three (3)
- If nothing happens, repeat step 2 but press the Power button (red turn on/off icon).
- The Nokia device will boot into the “Formatting” screen. Confirm your decision if prompted to format its storage. Otherwise, give the phone some time to format the data. After the reboot, your data will be gone, but the security code will be 12345 again.
What should I do after a factory reset of my Nokia device?
You should do your best to restore the Nokia phone data after you perform a factory reset. Unfortunately, backup recovery methods are rare on feature phones from Nokia. Your only bet is the manual import of important data, downloading a cloud backup you created, or logging in to your Google account and waiting for a sync if the device supports it.