Losing access to a PlayStation Network account can be devastating. Not only are your favorite games in the void indefinitely but you might be out of hundreds, if not thousands of dollars you invested. That’s why Sony has an entire page dedicated to best security practices on PlayStation Network. So, if and when you successfully restore access to your account, using them to strengthen your security and create a failsafe should be your next step. For now, let’s focus on the present. You’re stuck and need to know how to recover your PlayStation Network account. No big deal – let’s help you out.
Reminder. After successfully logging back into the PlayStation Network account, you might have to complete a 2-step verification (two-factor authentication) using your phone or authenticator app, or enter your login code (consoles only).
1. Recover PlayStation Network account without password
Here’s how recovering a PlayStation Network account with a forgotten password works:
1. Web browser
This is the process of recovery of a PSN account with no password via a web browser:
- Visit the PSN Account Management page.
- Click on Trouble Signing in? then on Reset your password.
- Enter your sign-in ID (e-mail address) and click on Send Email.
- A secure link will be sent to your sign-in ID in a few minutes.
- Click the link then fill in the account-related information.
- Tip. This is the date of birth by default, but it can be a mobile phone number or answers to security questions.
- Set a new password and log in with new account details.
2. PlayStation 5
Resetting PlayStation Network account password on PlayStation 5 looks like this:
- Select Settings in the upper right corner of the Home screen by scrolling up.
- Go to Users and Accounts then Account.
- Select on Sign In.
- Press the triangle button (Forgot Password? in the bottom right corner).
- Enter your sign-in ID and select the Next button.
- Select OK then follow steps 5, 6, and 7 above.
3. PlayStation 4
To restore a PSN account with a forgotten password on PlayStation 4, scroll up on the Home screen. Then, go to Settings, select Account Management, and follow steps 3 through 6 above.
2. Reset PlayStation Network child account password
If the PlayStation Network account belongs to a child, only the family manager, through his or her account, can reset the password. With that said, follow these instructions to recover the PSN child account by resetting the password:
- PlayStation 5. On the Home screen of the manager’s account, go to Settings. Select Family and Parental Control, then Family Management. Select the child account then the Reset Password option.
- PlayStation 4. From the Home screen, go to Settings then Parental Controls/Family Management. Select Family Management, choose the child account, then pick Reset Password.
- Web browser. The family manager must log in to the Account Management page we linked above. Then, go to Account and select Family Management. Choose the child’s account from the list, then click Reset Password.
3. Recover PSN account without email address e.g., sign-in ID
Before you do anything, visit e-mail accounts you suspect could be used for PlayStation Network. Then, check Inbox (or Junk/Social) folder for e-mails from email@example.com. If nothing comes up, here are a few ways to contact PlayStation Customer Support:
You can talk to the PlayStation Support Bot by clicking on the I’m ready. Although the Bot states you’ll need a sign-in ID at first, it will ask you whether you still have access to it as the next question. After clicking on No, I don’t have access, you will be connected to the live agent. Afterward, proceed to confirm your identity by following their instructions. The tips below will be crucial, so check them beforehand.
2. Call, text, or send a Twitter message
You can get in touch with PlayStation Customer Service using:
- Live chat. Available Monday to Friday, 10:30 AM – 7 PM GMT.
- Twitter. Send a message to @AskPlayStation between 8 AM – 7 PM PDT in English, Portuguese, or Spanish.
- Calling. You can dial one of the following:
- 800 345-SONY (7669) or 1-800-345-7669 between Monday and Friday, 9 AM – 6 PM PT.
- 0203 538 2665, Monday to Friday, 10:30 AM – 7 PM GMT.
Tips for PlayStation Network account recovery
To improve your chances of retrieving your PlayStation Network account, you can provide the following ownership information:
- PayPal account tied to your PSN account
- Credit or debit card used to make transactions with the PlayStation Network account
- Information about previous transactions. For example, “I bought PlayStation Plus in October of last year, and canceled it in February this year”
- PlayStation Network Live ID (your “gamer tag”)
- PlayStation console unique serial ID (printed on a sticker on the console) used to create the account or buy at least 1 game with your PSN account