Wattpad is a social media platform catering to writers, both amateurs and pros, with an active user count of 45 million and over 300 million uploads. The service is free to use. And people can post anything from short stories to full-length novels. However, one needs a Wattpad account to access these services. But there are times when a user migrates away from the platform, either leaving his account dormant or deactivating it. The following article emphasizes methods regarding Wattpad account recovery.
What is Wattpad?
Founded in 2006, Wattpad is an online literature platform intended for the sake of reading and writing original stories. The founders Allen Lau and Ivan Yuen further emphasize the importance of such a platform as they declare that Wattpad aims to create social communities surrounding stories. Thus removing said barriers between readers and writers. One aspect that contributed to the platform’s success is its entirely free-to-use app.
Another attraction is its ever-growing library which is stacked with wonderful books. The collection of stories, both fact and fiction, keep on attracting new users to the platform. As a result, it is estimated that readers spend an average of 2 billion minutes on the website.
Wattpad account recovery process
Those who have deactivated their accounts before leaving Wattpad can safely recover them without much hassle. However, one has to fulfill a few conditions before being able to do so, such as:
- One should have the original password ready for use.
- Again, he should have the username or the email linked to the account.
As for recovery, it is the same as logging into the service. Hence, users can choose any medium, app or site, to log in to his account using his old credentials and he can recover his account. The necessary steps are:
Logging in using the Wattpad App on iOS or Android:
- First, download the Wattpad app from the app store.
- Then, run the app and click on Login.
- After that, enter the correct username/email and password.
For logging in using the Wattpad website:
- First, visit the official website at www.wattpad.com.
- Then, locate and click on Login.
- And finally, enter the credentials associated to the account.
Issues with automatic Wattpad account recovery
There are some cases when automatic account recovery won’t work. These are as follows:
- User have forgotten the password associated to the closed account.
- The username in question has already been taken by someone else.
- You have used the older email to link another Wattpad account.
- If the user is found in violation of the terms and conditions, and the code of conduct of the website, then Wattpad retains the right to permanently block his account.
- If user no longer can access the original email provided at the time of account creation.
Solutions If you’re unable to restore your account due to:-
The only recourse available to the user is to reproach the Wattpad Support, as there is no procedure to reset the password of a closed or deactivated account.
Username in use
If after deactivation, the username for your account was taken by anyone else, then the user has to log in using his registered email and create another username. There is no method to proclaim the old username if it is already in use associated with another account.
Email linked to a different account
If you have used the original email to link to another Wattpad account, then you can’t use the same email to recover the older account as long you do not change the email for the current account.
Although Wattpad provides user a chance to approach Wattpad Support in case of any violations, chances are the account closed won’t get recovered.
Unable to access email used
If due to some reason, you no longer have access to your original email, then forget recovery. First, the user should ensure access to the email used when creating the Wattpad account.
What to do if you can’t recover your Wattpad account?
1. Try logging with your email
If you have tried to log in with your username and were unsuccessful, it’s time to use the email for recovery.
2. Ensure weather the Username is already taken or not
First, search the Wattpad for the username in question like this: www.wattpad.com/yourusername, If a profile is being displayed, which is not yours, then your username has already been taken by another user, and you won’t be able to log in with the same. Thus, users are advised to use their registered emails instead.
3. Make sure if the email is still available
If you are not sure if your email is linked to an active Wattpad account, try using the Forgot Password link. If you are getting a password reset link in your inbox, then you can still use the same email for login, as it is linked to an active Wattpad account and available for use.
4. If it’s been 6 months or more after deactivation
In cases where an account has been closed for six months or more, Wattpad retains the right to permanently delete it. Although, it is still possible to recover it if the deactivation was an accident or a result of a wrongful incident. However, for such cases, one has to contact the Wattpad Support.