Medium is a platform for publishing articles that are open-minded, meaningful, and well-researched. And while both experts on the topics and up-and-coming authors can contribute, losing access to their accounts can send the whole thing off the rails. For example, impersonation can make their reputation plummet. Also, whether a user has written one or hundreds, even thousands of articles, they’d never be able to claim authority. Even worse, they might never see them anymore. Those are all valid reasons to learn how to recover Medium account. So, let’s jump right in.
1. Recover Medium account via an e-mail address
In case you forgot, Medium takes a different approach to account sign-in. They do not use passwords and you only need an e-mail address and a quick identity confirmation. Follow these steps to recover Medium account by logging in via email:
- Go to www.medium.com and click on Sign In in the upper right corner.
- Tip. If you’re using a Medium Android/iOS apps, step 1 doesn’t exist. Go straight into step 3.
- Select Sign in with email from the list of options.
- Enter your e-mail address and click/tap on Continue.
- Head on over to your email inbox and open the verification mail.
- Click or tap on the Sign in to Medium button in the e-mail message.
- Tip. You have 15 minutes to tap or click on the button and can only do so once. So, if you run out of time or into an error, repeat the whole process.
- You’ll be redirected to the medium.com page (browser) and signed in or logged in straight away (apps).
2. Recovering Medium account through associated accounts
Have you ever connected your Medium account with Google or Apple accounts or accounts for social media such as Facebook or Twitter? You can sign in through linked accounts to regain access to Medium after following step 1 above. If those are lost or outdated as well, follow these exhaustive guides to get them back:
- Recover Apple ID
- Restore access to Google (if it’s deleted – use this instead).
- Retrieve Twitter account
- Recover account for Facebook
3. Restoring a deleted or deactivated Medium account
In this case, the Medium account recovery process works like this:
- If you deactivated your Medium account, signing in using method 1 is enough to get it back.
- If you deleted your Medium account, the process is permanent and irreversible. Also, there’s no grace period like with other platforms.
- Did Medium terminate your account? You must have broken one or more of Medium Rules. If you act quickly and use method 4, and the action was unjustified, you can get your access reinstated.
4. Contact Medium Customer Support
Here are a few ways to reach out to Medium Customer Support:
- Send an e-mail. Address it to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org (for method 3)
- Use their social media. They’re active on Twitter (@Medium, @MediumSupport) and Facebook (@medium).
- Use the medium contact form. Select “I’m having problems with my Medium account” > “I can’t access my Medium account”. Then, enter the following before clicking or tapping on Submit:
- Your e-mail address.
- Your username URL (usually “username.medium.com”).
- Description of your problem.
- Optional. Upload attachments (screenshots, screen recordings) related to your problem.