Steam is the most popular platform for buying PC games. Losing an account might end you up not being able to enjoy all those titles you purchased over time. After spending hundreds of dollars on your favorite games, if you can’t access them, it can be quite frustrating. Even with the Gigabytes of files downloaded and stored on your computer, if you do not have access to your Steam account and cannot log in to it, you cannot play them. All you can do is trying some methods to recover Steam account to start playing your favorite titles again.
Recover Steam Password
If you forgot your Steam password, you can simply reset it just like any other account. The steps are very similar. If you need help, these are the steps to recover Steam password.
You can either use the software installed on your computer or use the Steam website to reset the password. The steps will be almost similar.
- Open Steam software or the Steam login page.
- Click on the Forgot your password link.
- It will take you to a screen with a number of options. Click on the “I forgot my Steam account name or password” option.
- It will ask you to submit your email or phone number connected with the Steam account. Provide that information and click on Search.
- If there is an account associated with the details you provided, it will tell you so.
- Choose the option saying “Email an account verification code to ……….“
- That’s it, you are almost done. Check your email address and enter the code in the next step. Steam will let you reset your password.
Recover Steam Password without Email
If you no longer have access to the email address, follow these steps instead.
- Follow steps 1-5 as mentioned in the above section.
- In the next step, choose the option “I no longer have access to this email address.”
- It will take you to a screen asking to enter your Steam password.
- If you remember your password, the process is easier. You can just enter that and continue the on-screen instructions. If not, click on the Forgot password link at the bottom.
- It will take you to a form which you can fill. Steam support will get back to you with the details on the alternate email address you provide in the form.
If they are successfully able to verify the account ownership, you will be given access back to your Steam account even without the email address.
Lost Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator Access
If you lost access to the Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator, there can be two scenarios. Either you have a recovery code saved or you don’t
If you have the recovery code
All you have to do is trying to login into the new device. It will ask you for the Steam Guard Authenticator code. Enter the recovery code you have, and that’s it. The app will let you in. Keep in mind that the Authenticator recovery code has nothing to do with the Steam account except it is an extra layer of security. So, for example, if your account is stolen or you no longer have access to the email, this won’t help.
If you do not have the recovery code
This is where things get a bit tougher. Follow these steps to recover your Steam account once you no longer have access to your recovery code or mobile number.
- Go to the Steam Help page.
- Click on the Help, I can’t sign in button.
- Choose the option saying “I deleted or lost my Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator“.
- Enter the Steam username, email address, or phone number in the next step and click on Search.
- Verify your Steam account by receiving a code to your Email or Phone number. If you no longer have access to the email or phone, you can also enter the account password if you remember it.
- If you don’t even remember your password, you can click on the Forgot password link. Just like mentioned in the previous methods, that is where you fill out details and reach out the Steam support for help.
Recover Hacked Steam Account
If your Steam account got stolen or hacked, you can still get it back. If you find any unusual activity on your account, you should follow these steps to try to recover it.
1. Try to change your password
The first thing you have to do when you notice any kind of suspicious activity on your account is changing the password. If you can o that, things would be much easier. It is also recommended to change the password of the email account connected with Steam to be extra secure. If the attacker hacked your email account and gained access to your Steam, this would prevent him from accessing it again.
2. If you cannot reset the password
If the attacker already managed to change the email or phone number associated with the Steam account, things are a bit tough. Your only way is to reach out to the Steam support and explaining the situation. If you prove that you are the real account owner with the necessary documents, they might be able to help you with your issue.