Steam is the most popular platform for buying PC games. Losing an account might end you up not being able to enjoy all those titles you purchased over time. After spending hundreds of dollars on your favorite games, if you can’t access them, it can be quite frustrating. Even with the Gigabytes of files downloaded and stored on your computer, if you do not have access to your Steam account and cannot log in to it, you cannot play them. All you can do is trying some methods to recover Steam account to start playing your favorite titles again.
How to Recover Steam Password
If you forgot your Steam password, you can simply reset it just like any other account. The steps are very similar. If you need help, these are the steps to recover Steam password.
You can either use the software installed on your computer or use the Steam website to reset the password. The steps will be almost similar.
- Open Steam software or the Steam login page.
- Click on the Forgot your password link.
- It will take you to a screen with a number of options. Click on the “I forgot my Steam account name or password” option.
- It will ask you to submit your email or phone number connected with the Steam account. Provide that information and click on Search.
- If there is an account associated with the details you provided, it will tell you so.
- Choose the option saying “Email an account verification code to ……….“
- That’s it, you are almost done. Check your email address and enter the code in the next step. Steam will let you reset your password.
Recover Steam Password without Email
If you no longer have access to the email address, follow these steps instead.
- Follow steps 1-5 as mentioned in the above section.
- In the next step, choose the option “I no longer have access to this email address.”
- It will take you to a screen asking to enter your Steam password.
- If you remember your password, the process is easier. You can just enter that and continue the on-screen instructions. If not, click on the Forgot password link at the bottom.
- It will take you to a form which you can fill. Steam support will get back to you with the details on the alternate email address you provide in the form.
If they are successfully able to verify the account ownership, you will be given access back to your Steam account even without the email address.
Lost Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator Access
If you lost access to the Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator, there can be two scenarios. Either you have a recovery code saved or you don’t
If you have the recovery code
All you have to do is trying to login into the new device. It will ask you for the Steam Guard Authenticator code. Enter the recovery code you have, and that’s it. The app will let you in. Keep in mind that the Authenticator recovery code has nothing to do with the Steam account except it is an extra layer of security. So, for example, if your account is stolen or you no longer have access to the email, this won’t help.
If you do not have the recovery code
This is where things get a bit tougher. Follow these steps to recover your Steam account once you no longer have access to your recovery code or mobile number.
- Go to the Steam Help page.
- Click on the Help, I can’t sign in button.
- Choose the option saying “I deleted or lost my Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator“.
- Enter the Steam username, email address, or phone number in the next step and click on Search.
- Verify your Steam account by receiving a code to your Email or Phone number. If you no longer have access to the email or phone, you can also enter the account password if you remember it.
- If you don’t even remember your password, you can click on the Forgot password link. Just like mentioned in the previous methods, that is where you fill out details and reach out the Steam support for help.
Steps to Recover Hacked Steam Account
If your Steam account got stolen or hacked, you can still get it back. If you find any unusual activity on your account, you should follow these steps to try to recover it.
1. Try to change your password
The first thing you have to do when you notice any kind of suspicious activity on your account is changing the password. If you can o that, things would be much easier. It is also recommended to change the password of the email account connected with Steam to be extra secure. If the attacker hacked your email account and gained access to your Steam, this would prevent him from accessing it again.
2. If you cannot reset the password
If the attacker already managed to change the email or phone number associated with the Steam account, things are a bit tough. Your only way is to reach out to the Steam support and explaining the situation. If you prove that you are the real account owner with the necessary documents, they might be able to help you with your issue.
After successful recover, if you lost your saves, you can follow our guide on recovering Steam cloud saves to resume your game progress.
Steam Account Recovery through Account Ownership Verification
When you’ve exhausted all other options for recovering your Steam account, there is still hope. Steam users have the opportunity to regain access to their accounts by going through an account ownership verification process. This method involves providing detailed information about your account and the transactions associated with it, convincing Steam that you are the rightful owner.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to recover your Steam account through account ownership verification:
Step 1. Visit the Steam Support Website:
Go to the Steam Support website using a web browser on your computer or mobile device.
Step 2. Select “I can’t sign in” Option:
Look for the option related to account recovery or regaining access to your account. Typically labeled as “I can’t sign in” or a similar option, click on it to proceed.
Step 3. Choose “Forgot account name or password”:
On the account recovery page, select the option that says “I forgot my Steam account name or password.” This will initiate the account recovery process.
Step 4. Provide Relevant Information:
Fill out the account recovery form with accurate and detailed information. Be sure to include your Steam account username, associated email address, and any other pertinent details that can help verify your ownership of the account. Providing specific and accurate information increases the chances of successful account recovery.
Step 5. Provide Transaction Information:
Prove ownership by providing details of transactions made on your Steam account. Also, include information such as the approximate date and time of recent purchases, payment method used, last four digits of the associated credit card, or any other relevant transaction-related details. This information establishes your credibility as the account owner.
Step 6. Include CD Keys or Serial Numbers:
If you have physical copies of games or digital CD keys/serial numbers associated with your Steam account, provide them as additional proof of ownership. These unique codes are usually found on game packaging or in digital purchase receipts. If you already lost the, you may need to recover Steam games later.
Step 7. Attach Proof of Purchase or Ownership Documents (if available):
If you have any additional proof of purchase or ownership documents, such as receipts, order confirmations, or screenshots of your Steam library, consider attaching them to the support ticket. These documents further strengthen your case and increase the likelihood of successful account recovery.
Step 8. Submit the Support Ticket:
Once all necessary information has been provided, submit the support ticket to Steam Support. Then, allow time for them to review and investigate your case.
Step 9. Follow Steam Support’s Instructions:
If Steam Support determines that the information provided is sufficient to verify your ownership, they will guide you through the account recovery process. Follow their instructions carefully to regain access to your Steam account.
Note: Steam Support may require additional information or may reach out to you for further clarification during the account recovery process. Respond promptly and provide any requested details to expedite the recovery of your account.