Looking for a way to recover deleted messages on Facebook? No wonder – some of them must be funny, nostalgic, or outright important. However, you must distinguish between messages you deleted and those you simply want for safekeeping. Obviously, the latter case has a much larger success rate, although the process is identical. Also, we’d like to mention that you have a chance to restore all messages from the start of your account to the date and time you requested data. And, in case you deleted a recent conversation, it’s recommended you act as fast as possible. With that in mind, here’s how to restore Facebook messages.
Steps to recover Facebook messages
You’ll take advantage of Facebook’s obsession with collecting data. Additionally, you have a chance to choose between doing steps online, or inside an offline copy. We’ll guide you through the entire process, don’t fret.
- Log in to your Facebook account.
If you have trouble logging in, you can recover a Facebook account with an old password, username, or even if in case it was disabled.
- Click on the down arrow in the top right corner.
- From a drop-down menu, choose Settings & Privacy.
- Now, choose Settings.
- In the menu on the left side, select Your Facebook Information.
- You now have two options to choose from.
Online and offline options for message recovery
- Click on Access Your Information.
- Click on Messages.
- Once the tab expands, click on Your Messages.
- Click on the person whose messages you’re trying to retrieve.
- See if the messages you deleted are still there. If they aren’t, follow the steps below.
- Click on Download Your Information.
- Under the Data Range, choose a date range. If you want to restore messages on Facebook since you created the account, leave it on All of my data.
- We recommend keeping the Format on HTML.
- Since your focus is not on downloading images or videos, Media Quality is not that important. If you are in a hurry, you can choose Low.
- Click on Deselect all in the top right corner.
- Now, select Messages by putting a checkmark in the far right corner.
- Click on Create File in the top right corner.
- You’ll get a report: Your file is being processed.
If you put a short date range, chose Messages only, and put Media Quality on Low, the process should be pretty fast.
If you requested a copy of your entire account since its conception, the file can be upward of 3 GB in size, which takes a while.
- Once the copy is ready, you’ll get a Facebook notification saying: Your Facebook data is ready for download.
- Click on the notification, then click on Download.
- The file will be in form of a ZIP archive.
- Extract the files from the ZIP archive to your desktop or a location of your choice.
- In the root (base) folder, look for a file titled index.html.
The file might be called index, depending on if you made extensions visible.
- Open the file by double-clicking on it, and your default browser should open it.
Alternatively, you can open the browser tab, then drag the index.html file to it.
- If you checked multiple information types look for Messages. Otherwise, Messages will be the only option.
- Click on the Messages hyperlink underneath.
- You’ll see a list of people you’ve interacted with on the left.
- Use Ctrl (Control) + F to search for specific words in conversations.
Finally, you hopefully got back the Facebook messages you either thought were lost, or completely forgot you sent or received. Either way, this should cheer you up, and we’re happy for you.